Conteúdo do artigo principal
Biosafety protocols in Dentistry are constantly being modified and improved, as research is carried out. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, questions arose about the continuity of dental practice. The main objective of this literature review is to describe different Biosafety protocols in Dentistry adopted during the COVID-19 pandemic. The bibliographic search was performed in the PubMed and Google Scholar databases, using the terms: dental practice AND (biosafety OR COVID-19); COVID-19 vaccine AND dentistry; masks AND COVID-19 AND dentistry; personal protective equipment AND COVID-19 AND dentistry; mouthwash AND COVID-19 AND dentistry; disinfection materials AND COVID-19 AND dentistry. The results showed that many changes in Biosafety protocols would be necessary and that there is agreement among the authors about them. The careful follow-up of the protocols would be the best way for the dentist to contribute to the control of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Detalhes do artigo
Este trabalho está licenciado sob uma licença Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Geneva: WHO; 2020. Disponível em: <https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus>
- Wang C, Horby PW, Hayden FG, Gao GF. A novel coronavirus outbreak of global health concern. Lancet. 2020 Feb 15;395(10223):470-473. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30185-9
- World Health Organization. Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it. Geneva: WHO;2020. Disponível em: <https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it>
- World Health Organization. Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV.). Situation Report -1. Geneva: WHO; 2020. Disponível em: <https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200121-sitrep-1-2019-ncov.pdf>
- Peng X, Xu X, Li Y, Cheng L, Zhou X, Ren B. Transmission routes of 2019-nCoV and controls in dental practice. International Journal of Oral Science. 2020; 12:9.
- Hegde MN, Qaiser S, Hegde ND. Clinical protocols in dental practice: Post-COVID-19. J Conserv Dent. 2020; 22(5):408-410.
- Samaranayake, L. P., & Fakhruddin, K. S. COVID- 19 Vaccines and Dentistry. Dental Update. 2021; 48: 76-81.
- Samaranayake LP, Seneviratne CJ, Fakhruddin KS. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccines: A concise review. Oral Dis. 2021; 15:10. https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.13916
- Ge ZY, Yang LM, Xia JJ, Fu XH, Zhang YZ. Possible aerosol transmission of COVID-19 and special precautions in dentistry. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2020; 21(5):361-368
- Ather A, Patel B, Ruparel NB, Diogenes A, Hargreaves KM. Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19): Implications for Clinical Dental Care. J Endod. 2020; 46(5):584-595. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2020.03.008
- Villani FA, Aiuto R, Paglia L, Re D. COVID-19 and Dentistry: Prevention in Dental Practice, a Literature Review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 26;17(12):4609. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17124609
- Mattos FF, Pordeus IA. COVID-19: a new turning point for dental practice. Braz Oral Res. 2020; 34: e085. https://doi.org/10.1590/1807-3107bor-2020.vol34.0085
- Amato A, Caggiano M, Amato M, Moccia G, Capunzo M, De Caro F. Infection Control in Dental Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17(13):4769. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17134769
- Mahmood, S. U., Crimbly, F., Khan, S., Choudry, E., & Mehwish, S. (2020). Strategies for rational use of personal protective equipment (PPE) among healthcare providers during the COVID-19 crisis. Cureus. 2020; 12(5): e8248. doi:10.7759/cureus.8248
- Arellano-Cotrina JJ, Marengo-Coronel N, Atoche-Socola KJ, Peña-Soto C, Arriola-Guillén LE. Effectiveness and Recommendations for the Use of Dental Masks in the Prevention of COVID-19: A Literature Review. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. Cambridge University Press. 2020; 1–6.
- Li DTS, Samaranayake LP, Leung YY, Neelakantan P. Facial protection in the era of COVID-19: A narrative review. Oral Dis. 2021; 3:665-673. https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.13460
- Vergara-Buenaventura A, Castro-Ruiz C. Use of mouthwashes against COVID-19 in dentistry. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020; 58(8):924-927. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2020.08.016
- Kampf G, Todt D, Pfaender S, Steinmann E. Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents. J Hosp Infect. 2020;104(3):246-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.022
- Barbato L, Bernardelli F, Braga G, Clementini M, Di Gioia C, Littarru C, et al. Surface disinfection and protective masks for SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory viruses: A review by SIdP COVID-19 task force. Oral Dis. 2020; 18:10. https://doi.org/10.1111/odi.13646
- Imran E, Khurshid Z, Adanir N, Ashi H, Almarzouki N, Baeshen HA. Dental Practitioners' Knowledge, Attitude and Practices for Mouthwash Use Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2021; 14:605-618.
- Sarfaraz S, Shabbir J, Mudasser MA, Khurshid Z, Al-Quraini AAA, Abbasi MS, Ratnayake J, Zafar MS. Knowledge and Attitude of Dental Practitioners Related to Disinfection during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Healthcare (Basel). 2020 Jul 25;8(3):232. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare8030232